For Mother's Day dessert this year, I decided to try something a little different and bake up a new rendition of my mom's favorite thumb print cookies from Celebrity Bakery. A quick search on Pinterest revealed dozens of different options for thumbprint cookies. I went for this simple, quick and easy thumbprint recipe (it also had the most pins).
Thumb Print Cookies:
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cup flour
Preheat oven to 375 F
- Cream butter, sugar and egg together
- Gradually add flour to butter mixture
- Pinch off enough dough to form 1 inch balls
- Roll dough until balls are relatively smooth
- Place balls about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet
- Use indention in each ball with thumb or spoon
- Bake for 8 minutes
- Remove cookies from oven and place on cooling rack
Now for the icing...
Over the holidays, I made a three layered carrot cake that had the most incredible cream cheese icing. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the recipe called for a lot more icing than was necessary for the cake. This left me with a huge bowl of leftover icing. To keep myself from eating the icing straight out of the bowl, I decided to use it on a fresh batch of sugar cookies and the result was incredible. I know that thumbprint cookies aren't traditionally made with cream cheese icing but I remembered how incredible those cream cheese frosted sugar cookies were and thought, why not do it again? I decided to use the same recipe but cut it in half and the results were just as good as I anticipated. The best part, my mom absolutely loved them!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 to 4 cups powdered sugar (depending on your desired consistency & sweetness of frosting)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and the cream cheese. Slowly blend in the powdered sugar and vanilla, then beat until smooth and well-combined.
Tip: The longer you whip this frosting, the lighter and fluffier it will become.